Home » Posts tagged 'Africa'
Tag Archives: Africa
In a recent a recent report from the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA):
- A humanitarian barge departed Bor on 16 March. The barge was
carrying over 1,000 mt of relief items to Malakal.
- So far in 2015, 214,950 children (37 per cent girls) have been reached with education support in South Sudan.
- There were reports of localized population displacement following fighting in Greater Upper Nile as well as inter-communal violence in Lakes State.
- Humanitarian partners have reviewed service provision in Mingkaman in order to rationalise them and prioritise life-saving assistance.
Read more: South Sudan: Crisis Situation Report No. 79.
- An estimated 1.5 million people have been uprooted in fighting that started with a political impasse in mid-December 2013 between President Salva Kiir and former Vice-President Riek Machar. The conflict also sent nearly 100,000 civilians fleeing to UN bases around the country. UN Mission South Sudan
- At least 40,000 people who fled fighting in South Sudan are staying in horrific conditions at a UN camp. Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
- “Being a father is always about being able to provide for your son, sending him to school or a good hospital if he needs it. But how can you say you’re a father when you’re just sitting here? I am just ashamed of being a father here. It would be better if we didn’t have to leave to be refugees. The world needs to support people in their lives so South Sudan can be developed and there can be peace in this world,” Gatluack Choul, South Sudanese Refugee