Home » Posts tagged 'Health'
Tag Archives: Health
- An estimated 1.5 million people have been uprooted in fighting that started with a political impasse in mid-December 2013 between President Salva Kiir and former Vice-President Riek Machar. The conflict also sent nearly 100,000 civilians fleeing to UN bases around the country. UN Mission South Sudan
- At least 40,000 people who fled fighting in South Sudan are staying in horrific conditions at a UN camp. Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
- “Being a father is always about being able to provide for your son, sending him to school or a good hospital if he needs it. But how can you say you’re a father when you’re just sitting here? I am just ashamed of being a father here. It would be better if we didn’t have to leave to be refugees. The world needs to support people in their lives so South Sudan can be developed and there can be peace in this world,” Gatluack Choul, South Sudanese Refugee
- A boy shares a birthday with his country, but in South Sudan there is little to celebrate – OXFAM America
I received this action alert asking advocates like you and I to urge the Senate to pass the Children’s Hospitals Graduate Medical Education (CHGME bill (S. 1557). The bill would extend funding through 2018 according to the alert released by the team at Speak Now For Kids. Below is the action alert:
Thank you for your recent help to successfully urge the Senate to pass the Children’s Hospitals Graduate Medical Education (CHGME) bill (S. 1557), extending the program’s funding through 2018. Your help was invaluable, and made a big difference. Now, it’s the House’s turn to act on this important legislation.
We are so close to this important benefit for pediatric health reaching President Obama’s desk for signature into law. This is the final step in what has been a two-year process for reauthorizing the CHGME program.
Please help us fight for access to pediatric specialty care by contacting your Member of Congress NOW.
Why is the CHGME program important? For more than a decade, the CHGME national program has helped children’s hospitals across the country train more than 6,000 pediatricians and pediatric specialists to care for kids with critical health needs.
How can you Act Now for Kids?
Send a letter to your Member of Congress NOW.
Learn more about the issues on our website.
Join our community of champions and start participating in the conversation.
Thank you again for continuing to support children’s hospitals and taking action to protect the future of our kids’ health.
-The Speak Now for Kids Team
You’re invited to help Open Table serve a warm meal and provide groceries to those experiencing a time of hardship in Massachusetts. If you are enthusiastic about addressing hunger and serving your fellow man, woman, and child feeling socially isolated do to the affects of poverty, then RSVP to volunteer on any
Monday in 2013 from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm (Click to RSVP for upcoming dates).
According to a report by Massachusetts based Project Bread and data collected from the USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture):
“The food insecurity rate in Massachusetts has grown by over 43 percent since the start of the recession in 2008. This is the highest rate recorded in the Commonwealth since this data was first collected in 1995.”
In an article published recently by the Associated Press:
“Poverty is spreading at record levels across many groups, from underemployed workers and suburban families to the poorest poor. More discouraged workers are giving up on the job market, leaving them vulnerable as unemployment aid begins to run out. Suburbs are seeing increases in poverty [too].”
Dr. Cornell West of The Poverty Tour says, “You can’t lead people unless you love people and you cant save people unless you serve people.”
What is the depth of your love and quality of your service for people, specifically poor people? Show your depth and register now.
Note: If you can’t volunteer your time Open Table accepts food donations. For more information about food donations please contact: http://www.opentable.org/contact-us/.
- Topic of the Day: Preventing Poverty (takeabreatheandrun.wordpress.com)
- Future of Poverty Resistance uncertain following code citations (trib.com)
- No More Poverty Helps Sponsor Hands for Hope Annual Starlight Jazz Serenade Fundraiser (prweb.com)